One of the negatives of being a parent, firefighter, volunteer for everything under the sun, and IT worker is that sometimes you don’t get to meet a lot of people as you shuttle people to and fro from one activity to another or you are busy working in a group as soon you are done you have some place else to be. I was reminded of the joy of the communal aspect of running as I returned to the Capital Striders group run this week after many weeks off due to injury. I met many of my old acquaintances today and once again felt as part of the community. To that end, I wanted to make a listing of all the other opportunities to meet other runners in Des Moines.
The first and foremost way to meet other runners is to join Capital Striders. No other group promotes running as much as this group in Des Moines. From their promoting of races, annual potluck meetings, or coordinating groups runs, if you want to support communal running in Des Moines, visiting their website is the first step. Another way to commune with other runners is to find the places they’ll be. If they aren’t training, they are racing. The best race calendar for Iowa has to be Fitness Sports website’s race calendar.
Area Group Runs: (listed first are the ones you’ll likely find me — for better or for worse)
- Capital Striders Spring/Summer Saturday morning group runs — if you want more information, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org. It currently starts at 7:30 am and departs from Drake University’s Meredith Hall.
- Running Room – the new running store in West Des Moines (6305 Mills Civic Parkway) – holds a group run every Wednesday 6pm and Sunday morning 8:30 am.
- 04/01 – Curt and Nancy Hoegh start the C.S. Beginning Running Groups for this year in Clive at Campbell Park at 6 PM
- In the fall, The Body Project trainer Tim Ives has coordinated a Thursday night training group (June 22 through October 12) at Ashby Park in Beaverdale for the Des Moines Marathon.
- Thursday Zimm’s Run — Leave at 6:15 p.m. from Zimm’s Food and Spirits at 3124 Ingersoll. About a 6-mile loop on Grand and Ingersoll.
Denny Wheeler, 255-6951
- Sunday Greenbelt Run — Meet 8:00 a.m. at the east trail head of the Clive Trail on 86th Street (behind the Grease Monkey). About 10 miles out and back. Pace is 6:30- to 8:15-minute miles.
- There are number of outside Des Moines group run possibilities at the Fitness Sports website.
I hope this post goes a long ways to dispelling the loneliness myth of the long distance runner at least in Des Moines. For with this schedule, if you can’t find a group to run with you aren’t looking hard enough. And if you are like me, you get enough of the inner self-talk when you run by yourself that having someone else around to distract you on a training run with conversation is a blessing.