I am in the midst of full blown taper madness where everything seemingly revolves or affects my upcoming marathon. Should I go out to eat today or run over lunch since my legs feel tight? Should I find out a route in Carroll to run after Tasha’s XC meet or should I do my final short long run (6 miles) on Sunday? Should I do my change tonight because really I should be getting more sleep? The list of questions could go on and on. I haven’t made a Youtube video in a week because I am not I am coherent enough right now to do one. Every night this week something is pressing for time. EMT Classes started this week, which is two nights a week, a 6 hour commitment with travel each time.
Here are some thoughts over the past week:
- Where the heck am I going to eat the night before? My original plan was to hit the Mongolian BBQ, but rational thought thankfully took hold. I am not sure anyone wants to run a marathon 12 hours after a Mongolian BBQ meal. My GI tract might scream uncle.
- I must get hair cut, so marathon photos have at least a chance of looking good if I break 4 hours and I actually want to show them.
- “Does a goatee affect one’s wind resistance?”
- Kids with me on marathon weekend or with in-laws? Is the pleasure of seeing them cheering me on out-weighed by stress of them fighting the night before who gets to sleep on the hotel bed?
- Where should I plan to meet to Laura along the course?
- Ooo, that’s a new race prediction calculator, let me try it. Darn, it still isn’t predicting 3:45:00 results unless I lie.
- Exactly how steep is that 150′ hill in mile 2?
- That 4+ miler yesterday felt fast at 9:15 – exactly how hot was it? If 9:15 is a labor in 87 degree heat, where is the extra juice going to come from to do 26.2 at 9:05?
- Thanks to a fellow runner for this one — are they really going to make me take off my iPod at Arsenal Island? 7-8 miles with no music or audiobooks? Really? Will bribes help?
- Is my current audiobook marathon worthy? That new John Scalzi book, Zoe’s Tale, looks better…
- I had a great weight Saturday – 220 # lowest in months, but it was short lived. Should I care about the few pounds between now and then? I know if only I ran a bit more this week it would solve my problem. 🙂
So in the end, it all comes down to not running and seemingly not being in control of one race — having to trust in one’s past actions and deposits into the running banks instead of current actions. If one can worry about it in the final week of the marathon, I have.