Low Carb "Holubets" Cabbage Rolls
Author: Kent Altena
Recipe Type: Entree
Summary: Eastern European-styled low carb recipe -- Cabbage Rolls with creamy tomato sauce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCU1crIQjA
- 1 Head Cabbage
- ½ Head Cauliflower
- 1.25 pound Ground Beef
- ½ small onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 6 slices Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Core and boil head of cabbage.
- Rice one half head of cauliflower in food processor.
- Finely dice onion
- Brown ground beef, onion, and cauliflower in large frying pan.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper in second pot. Using an immersion blender, puree the contents into tomato soup. Heat until the sauce reaches the right consistency.
- Wrap the ground beef in the cabbage leaves, and then pour the creamy tomato sauce over top.
- Top with slices of bacon.
- Bake for 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2 rolls Calories: 270 Fat (g): 27 Carbohydrates (g): 3 Fiber (g): 1 Protein (g): 7
I was watching a show on Food Network called “Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives,” and they were doing a show on family businesses. (http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/place855.html) They were featuring a place in Minneapolis that was ran by a Eastern European family (Polish I believe) called Kramarczuk’s, and one of the things they were known were their cabbage rolls, called Holubets or “Polish Burritos.” I reversed-engineered the recipe and made it low carb in homage to them.
On my Facebook page, they have been well received. One lady from Serbia replied, ” i am from Eastern Europe and that is actually our national dish only we use sauerkraut or sour cabbage as a wrap.” I am always pleased to see how wide spread this way of eating is.