The year 2011 was very good year in many respects for me and my family. I have many things to be thankful for, and I wanted to post one reflection of the last year before I look to take on the New Year and the many challenges to come.
Exercise / Running
- I completed and set a PR in my fourth marathon in perhaps the worst weather I have ran yet. The Green Bay Marathon race was my goal race this year, and I trained for 5 months to beat my previous time. I initially had hoped for a sub 4 hour marathon time, but with work schedule and training difficulties to say nothing of the weather, I scaled back my expectations. I held back for the first 22 miles and opened up near the end beating my former best race by over 12 minutes.
- After that race, the wheels sort of fell of my racing. Immediately after the race, I began having problems walking and was initially diagnosed with a stress fracture. It turned out to be tenosynovitis, but that ultimately led me to taking 2 months off from running. I never re-caught the training bug and for the rest of the year simply built or maintained my base. I did pace the same 2:10 Des Moines Half Marathon pace team, which is always my most fun race of the year.
- Background: I entered the year with roughly 1.4 million video views and a little over 130 videos. My goal for 2011 was extremely ambitious one was to produce more than 50 videos this year or roughly one per week.
- Videos produced:
- 62 total videos produced
- 47 Atkins Diet (Low Carb) Recipe videos produced
- 6 Low Carb education videos produced
- Right from the beginning of the year, I recognized viewership was much higher in previous years. It was once again proving that the low carb fad was nothing of the sort and was far from over despite what the skeptics say. Here are a few stats that I simply wanted to pass along:
- 977,400 total video views last year – which was as many as the previous two years combined
- 3500 new subscribers
- Videos were favorited 4096 times
- 5000 Comments were posted on my videos
- Top 5 Countries for views: (in order)
- United Kingdom
- Demographic Breakdown (63% Women and 37% Men)
Other notable achievements:
- 2011 will go down as the year I was published. I was asked to join a collaboration effort with Jennifer Eloff, Carolyn Ketchum, Lisa Marshall, and Maria Emmerich to make the first of a series, Low Carbing Among Friends cookbook. This was a long process of refining my recipes and ensuring they were up to the high standards and ready to published. The book was announced on 11-11-11, and the first people began receiving their books shortly before Thanksgiving. The reviews so far have been simply astounding, and I am honored to be a part of this publication.
- In January, I was featured by a national magazine, the Globe, for my weight loss success. It was pretty cool to see your face in the grocery store checkout lines, and it was even cool enough to have friends buy a magazine that they normally would not purchase.
- My photo ran in national firefighter magazine for my squad’s participation with World War 2 vets honor flights to Washington, DC.
- I was also featured in a few low carb podcasts, like Jimmy Moore’s Low Carb Conversations, Hank Garner’s Journey, and Dr. Robert Su’s Carbohydrates Can Kill podcasts.
I wanted to thank all my viewers and friends for all your support this past year, and I promise that I will continue to pay that support forward in 2012. You guys have made this journey awesome, and I want to thank you for including me on yours.