I was inspired by a celebration of bacon, called BaconFest, that I attended a few months ago. They had an item by a local restaurant called Bacon Donuts. They were fritters made with bacon covered in a chocolate glaze. Without the glaze, it could have gone either sweet or savory, so I wanted to emulate that recipe here. I had it the first time as savory with salsa and sour cream, but for the sweet side, powdered Splenda would work or just pouring maple syrup over it. If you are a looking for a quick versatile recipe to make for breakfast, this is it.
A unique look at old recipe -- can be sweet or savory
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 mini peppers, finely-diced
- 1/3 cup vanilla (or plain) protein powder
- 1 egg
- 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- In a 8" frying pan, cook bacon until done (not crispy).
- Leaving bacon grease in pan, remove bacon, Add 2 tbsp of olive/coconut oil, and heat to 350F.
- In a bowl, melt butter in microwave. Add diced bacon, mini peppers, whey protein powder, egg, and cheddar cheese. Stir together.
- Using a tablespoon, place dollop of donut mixture in hot oil. Fry 30-60 seconds per side. Flip when necessary, and if the donuts become to brown, lower your oil temp. After the first one completes, you can fry two at a time.
Nutrition Info per serving (3 mini donuts): 320 Calories, 26g Fat, 2.4g Carbs (0.3g Fiber), 21.3g Protein